INTERVIEW WITH LIU CHEN, GM ASSISTANT OF MICE CENTER UNDER WANDA (BEIJING) INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION AND EXHIBITION CO., LTD.
1. As a buyer, what do you expect to gain from the ibtm china 2015? And what is your expectation for the exhibition?
As a buyer participating in the CIBTM 2015, what I'm eagerly looking forward to is exchanging ideas and learning from other suppliers in the trade, thus to learn the market trend of MICE in the Internet Era. This is also an important purpose of my participation.
2. What kind of suppliers do you particularly expect to meet in the ibtm china 2015? We hope to obtain more resources of incentive travel destinations and online solution suppliers of MICE business.
3. There are several types, different scales and venues of MICE events in China's market. What do you think are the features of them?
There are mainly 3 types of such events:
The first type of MICE events are held by the sales-oriented companies, like insurance agencies and direct selling corporations, typically featured by large scales and massive advertising; increasing incentive activities, expanding scale and serialized events are the notable signs of them.
The second type is small-size MICE events held by government agencies and state-owned enterprises. However, under the pressure of constant anti-corruption campaign, this kind of event has almost disappeared.
The third type is academic conferences held by the foreign pharmaceutical companies and medical associations.
Affected by the violations of foreign pharmaceutical companies in China, "compliance" has always been put on the top priority for such events. The host of such conference tends to keep a low profile and the venues are often prudently chosen, avoiding famous scenic spots and high-end or luxury hotels.
4. In Chinese MICE market, compared with other convention & exhibition companies, what kind of advantages do you think your company boasts? Supported by the abundant resources of cultural tourism from Wanda Group, Wanda Convention and Exhibition has become a resource-based exhibition enterprise. During the event, the clients can not only enjoy the high-quality hardware resources from Wanda Hotel and other cultural tourism projects, but also the coherent and efficient service provided by Wanda Convention and Exhibition through such various resources.
5. Based on your experience, in the past few years, do you think the enterprises have invested more or less capital in MICE events? Were there significant differences in capital investment among different industries? As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to the capital investment of the enterprises in MICE events, it hasn't changed much in the past few years.
Indeed, there have appeared some changes in capital investment among different industries in recent years: the previous small-scale convention tours have almost disappeared, consequently leading to the decrease of investment in such events. Meanwhile, the number of large-scale incentive MICE groups within companies has been increasing. The sales-oriented enterprises, represented by insurance and direct selling companies, have invested more and more in incentive travel year by year.
By comparison, we can see that the conference standard and budget of private enterprises is equal to, or just a little bit more than that of state-owned enterprises. Following the principle of "compliance first", most of the foreign-funded pharmaceutical companies choose to directly purchase the resources. The revenue of travel agencies and exhibition companies has decreased.